Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ongoing Cycle of the Door

Author's Note: Throughout the beginning of the novel, Jekyll and Hyde, the word door is constantly repeated, and serves as a major motif for the novel; when one steps through the door, he is one man, but when he returns, he is a completely new individual. This piece was inspired by the quotes from the novel, "There is no other door, and nobody goes in or out of that one but, once in a great while, the gentleman of my adventure," and the possible idea that Jekyll changes into Hyde as he comes and goes from his house.

Walking through my grand foyer,
Stilettos hitting the wooden floors,
With the perfect noise.
The sparkling chandelier shimmers above
And sunlight streams in through the glass wall of windows.

On the inside,
The world is perfect
Just me, my wealth, my happiness
Confidence at an all time high,
I feel invincible.

And then I see it.

The Door.

My insides crumble within
I want to turn back and sprint,
To what I love,
And away from what I hate.

Change.

But I can’t.
It’s inevitable.
Change is inevitable.

My feet slide to the door,
My hand grabs for the handle,
Holding my breath,
With excruciating focus,
I attempt to move away from the door,
But I can’t.
It’s inevitable.

With one turn,
The portal opens,
With gusts of wind,
The door blows open
My clothes cling to my body,
Almost in hope.

One after the other,
My feet cross over the line,
Exiting the door.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Walking through the dusty streets,
Loafers scuffing across the gravel roads,
With a dull, repeated clatter
Gray clouds fill the thick air,
Making it hard to breathe.

On the outside,
The world is dreadful
Just me, my filthy self, my broken appearance
Depression at an all time low,
I feel defeated

And then I see it.

The Door.

My insides tingle in excitement
I want to drop everything and sprint,
To what I love
And away from what I hate.

Brokenness, filthiness.

My feet tripping over each other
Dash towards the door,
My hand grasps the handle in hope,
Heavily breathing,
With great anticipation,
I turn the handle,
Waiting to see the better life on the inside.
It is inevitable.

With one turn,
The portal opens.
With a cloud of warmth,
The rich aroma of rich candles
Fill my nostrils,
Assuring me I am back,
Hopefully this time to stay.

One after the other,
My feet cross over the line,
Entering the Door.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, the second part of this poem really surprised me! It was really creative and unexpected! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allie!

    I was absolutely shocked (in a good way) when the second half was revealed! The "duality" of the personas, the polarity of situation, is awesome! Maybe consider shaving off some of the extra words, or mimicking sounds with onomatopoeia? Overall, the effect on me was stunning. I felt emotionally involved with each character and I even asked myself, "What was my door???" Great inspired piece! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison this is so pretty! :) I really like how you had the two parts and how it explains why she is so afraid of the door. It flows really well, but maybe next time you could have split up some of the stanzas and made shorter ones

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allie this was really good! I liked how you added two different sides of the story where she dreaded going through the door and then couldn't wait to go through the door. It could have gotten a little wordy at times but it was overall a great piece. I somewhat forgot reading about he motif of the door but reading this brought it back, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this was really good! I liked how you had the sides of the story just to show how the 2 like sides were. I think a couple of the lines could have been split and/or shortened. But I enjoyed the way that you slowed the time and kept the reader guessing only to surprise them once again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! I loved how you utilized the repetition of the door in Jekyll and Hyde and also incorporated two different worlds, which to me resembled the two different men in the story. Your imagery was beautiful as well. Maybe next time you could use some more heavily saturated diction and take out some wordiness. But overall, I loved it.(:

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was really good Allie! I loved how it was almost parallel to the novel but in a different way! If anything I would have wanted to know more about the character but other than that great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah your idea was really good and you put a lot of thought into this piece. Great Job. The repetition was really cool! The fact that you used the strongest motif in the book and made a creative story out of it. My favorite part was how you put it into a poem. It really added a lot more emtion. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HOLLY MAN this was good! I got chills reading it. I absolutely love how you put spaces and then wrote "the door" making it more impactful and sort of scary. I love this and I wouldn't change any of it! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete