Friday, January 20, 2012

Lonely

Author's Note: The purpose of this piece was to write a short story, displaying a character who utilizes a defense mechanism, and later showing how that defense mechanism either helps or harms the character.

Looking back out the car window; images of never ending trees, open road, and rolling hills all blur together, making me sick to my stomach. My eyes wet from crying, tears continuously rolling down my cheeks, my stomach heaving while gasping for air as I sob in the back seat, curled up in fetal position. Why do I have to leave everything behind; my school, my best friends, my family? Why? Why do I have to leave the ones I love, again? Do they not understand?

My head pounds, I feel as if my brain is getting shaken all around my head, the pain never letting up. Even with such a migraine, I somehow am able to think. With a pained expression, I desperately try to remember my friends’ faces, clinging onto them in hope I will never lose them; remembering our tight good bye hugs, the last embraces for a very long time. I hunt for the thoughts in the back of my head, search the uncountable memories, the good, and see only the pain in my future. Thoughts of my old friends, my old memories, all the good and perfect thoughts are contaminated with the new, bad thoughts—thoughts of the new school, the new possibilities, the change.

Taking in deep breaths, I attempt the impossible—to remain calm. With one last thought through my brain, my anger escapes, leaving my body in a violent, loud, and distracting matter. Sobs interrupt my words, but somehow, through displacement, I manage release my inner emotion, “HOW?! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME? DON’T YOU LOVE ME…DON’T YOU WANT ME TO BE HAPPY? ALL YOU ARE DOING IS MAKING ME LEAVE MY FRIENDS, FOR YOUR SAKE, YOU DON’T EVEN CARE ABOUT ME. YOU HATE ME….and, and, AND I HATE YOU. YOU SAY YOU CARE BUT I KNOW YOU REALLY DON’T, NO, NOT AT ALL. NO PARENTS WHO LOVE THEIR CHILD WOULD TAKE THEM FROM EVERYTHING THEY KNOW AND LOVE AND MAKE THEM START ALL OVER, ALL ALONE. I WON’T KNOW ANYONE THERE; I’LL BE ALL ALONE, WITH NO ONE TO GO TO. HOW, HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME? I HATE YOU!!!

Turning around from the passenger seat to attempt to calm me, my mother says, “Honey, we do love you. If we didn’t love you, we wouldn’t make you move. We are doing the best for our family. I’m sorry if you’re angry at your dad and me, but we really do care. I’m sorry if you hate us, or you think that we are bad parents, but honey we love you, we really do, don’t ever forget that. You won’t be alone, you’ll have your father and I, we’ll help you, we promise.

Seeing the tears escape her eyes as she painfully says this, I start to believe her. She convinced me. Of course they love me, they are my parents, they’ve always loved me, and they always will. I won’t be alone, I’ll have the best gift ever given, my parents—the ones I really love. Even if troubles and tests come my way at my new school and home, I’ll have my parents. Even without my old friends, I’ll have my parents. Even without the things I know, I’ll have help, I’ll have my parents. I love them so much, and they must know how sorry I am and how much I really do love and appreciate them.

My body calming, the tears letting up, I sit up and start my apology, “Mom….Dad.”

Both turning around, my father letting his gaze of the road turn to me, they say, “Yes, dear?”

Their eyes still locked on mine, with glimmers of hope, I was about to continue. With all intentions of apologizing, I open my mouth. But instead of calm words leaving my body, instead of a burden being lifted off my heavy chest, I go completely stiff. My hands turn to fists, my arms flail, and a terrible, blood curdling scream escapes my body. Confused and scared, my parents, still not paying attention to the road, look at me and tilt their heads in question. Seeing my eye contact with the road ahead, they quickly turn and release screams similar to mine. Because they were turned, their eyes locked on mine, they weren’t aware of the truck leaving its lane and swerving into ours, coming straight on. As cliché as it sounds, my life flashes before me, all the pleasant and happy memories of my family hugging, loving each other coming back to me. With vibrant pitches, screams fill the car, no one knows what to do, or what would come next. Bracing the arm rests, we all hold our breaths, not saying a word, praying for the best—these two seconds, feeling like two days.

With a loud and forceful impact, the truck plows into our sedan, completely smashing the car. Catapulted into my father’s chair in front of me, I see my parents. Smushed under the tons of the truck and metal from our car; I see my parent’s disheveled bodies, bleeding everywhere; I see my parents lying helpless in front of me. They appeared like bodies of lifeless dolls torturing me to an excruciating degree. My head throbs terribly; my body is covered with bruises; my heart, which is rapidly pulsing, loses great speed, realizing the tragedy in front of me. With the worst terror, sadness, and grief I have ever experienced, I sob harder than I thought was possible. My body heaves violently; I can barely catch a breath to let out these last words, “Mom…Dad? PLEASE be okay, PLEASE fight through this. I’m sorry, SO sorry for everything. I LOVE you so so much, more than anything in the world. I, I never meant to hurt you, I never wanted this to happen. I, I love you mom and dad, please be okay. Can you hear me?” I realize that that is impossible, they are gone and it is all my fault. If I wouldn’t have been yelling at them, acting so selfish, they would have never turned around, and they could have dodged the oncoming bullet, the truck. I was never alone; I had my parents, who loved me with everything they had. But now, now I am alone. Who will I turn to? My parents are gone and it’s all my fault. My sobs worsen and I finally say, “I’m so sorry mommy and daddy, I love you so much, I, I’m sorry. I love you, I always have, and, and I always will. I love you.”

Forgive, cherish, and love with all you have…before it’s too late.

20 comments:

  1. Allie! This is such an amazing piece. I could really feel the emotion coming through your writing because I know bits and pieces of this story are very personal to you. I loved the ending, how you threw a little moral/lesson in there. The only thing I might have changed was to make the crash paragraph a little more "showy" than "telly."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is honestly so good, Allie! I agree with Taylor that in that specific paragraph even more of a show don't tell kind of concept would have made it even more real than you already made it. Other than that I loved reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am blown away Allie! The words you used to describe the anger and emotions she was feeling in the beginning completed the story. I love how you described when she saw her parents bodies in the car too. My mouth dropped; I felt like I was in the car with them. The show don't tell thing would have improved that scene a little bit, but I think this is such an amazing story! Good job(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so amazing Allie! It actually made me cry. You really used detail well and made me feelas if all this was actually happening. Show don't tell might have improved it even more but without that it was still an amazing short story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, Allie! That was so good, I had to stop reading at the end because I didn't want to cry! You're diction and sentences really flowed well together, and your voice really shone through!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job. The story was really moving, and you carried the plot very vell. I agree with the comments above - more show don't tell would have been nice - but even without it your story was well written and your character was very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In addition to my previous comment. This affected me greatly because it helped me understand the emotions that can be running through someone's head as they're moving. I've never experienced this, but I could really feel it through this story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Allie, this was an awesome piece, it really pulled at my heartstrings. I loved the part in bold, where she is yelling at her parents, and how she hesitates and how her ideas are all jumbled. You captured the thought process perfectly, and I can imagine doing the exact same thing with my parents. To improve, you could try some different punctuation in the quotations, to further show her hesitation and thinking, but it was still a great story. It made me think how I would react to losing my parents, if I would blame myself and how I would cope.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice story, easily understood, and nice word choice. i can kind of relate to this story because i have moved about 8 times myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Allie this was really good! I like your writing style and I really liked your story. Along with the other comments, i fell like the show don't tell aspect could have been improved in the scene where she was in the car with her dead parents. Other than that it was really good! Although i have never moved before, this gives me an image of how it can affect people! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a fairly intense account. It seems like the whole need to explore a theme here was pretty strong -- this idea of not taking things for granted, of keeping things in perspective. I enjoyed the moral tone. To be honest, I'm not sure the last sentence is necessary. You want to, as an author, let your reader find their conclusion in a fiction piece. There is no need to isolate the theme, or moral. Just tell the story perhaps, and let the reader react, or it can sound preachy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Allie, you are such a strong writer, and that definately came out through this piece. I enjoyed reading the story throughout the whole piece! Your voice was very strong, and I loved the emphasis that you put on some areas which really gave the story such a strong affect. This story is very relate able to people which makes this story that much better. One suggestion that I would have is to go a little bit deeper in the the emotions or what she was thinking when her parents died but overall I loved this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow allie! This is so amazing. I love your idea overall and the way you wrote it:) Your sentence structure was great and varied alot. I love how you describe the emotion in the beginning but I feel like you lost it at the end a little bit where the parents died. I bit more there would have made this story even better than it already is!:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a very wide vocabulary! It makes the story sound very good. Overall, this was ver well written. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Allieee, this was so good! I definitely did not expect the ending, it was so sad :( You had a lot of great diction and for the most part it flowed very well. I think that you could have showed more of the emotion that she felt when her parents died, though. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. allyn,
    when you told me about your story i was so excited to read it. 1. i love your idea, it's haunting in a way and 2. good job making me feel because when i read it i could feel everything. WOO i loved it

    ReplyDelete
  17. Allie, I loved the theme of this! It was amazing! Your wording was awesome and I loved the last sentence! Good job:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Allie, This was amazing. I really liked the way you did the show not tell. You set the scene really good and the diction and description you used really made the story even more interesting. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Reading this makes me want to go give both of my parents a big hug and kiss! Allie I felt so much regret while reading this like I was the girl in the story and I LOVE when I read something I can literally imagine living. Your technique of explaining every feeling and every sight makes it so realistic and just so awesome to read..LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness that was so sad! I could feel the pain she felt through your great description and use of good diction! I thought it was really well written, I could hear your voice really coming through the text! You did an excellent job of showing not telling! My only suggestion is to maybe make the author's note a little more personal, maybe by adding how you came up with the idea for the plot of your story or something! Loved the story Allie! Nice work(:

    ReplyDelete