Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Temptations

Author's Note: As heavily present throughout Jekyll and Hyde, we are all enslaved by multiple things; the idea most prevalent in this section was temptations. Jekyll was constantly in the middle of a fight between his two sides, temptations continually haunting and forcing him to transfer to the dark and evil side of himself. Inspired by the line, "It was an ordinary secret sinner that I at last fell before the assaults of temptation," I decided to write a poem, attempting to capture the struggle of choosing between working towards good and giving into evil.

Temptations
Pulling at my heart strings,
Wracking my brain,
Tearing my body in two.

Temptations,
Endlessly hurling themselves my way,
Seducing me with their options,
Forcing me to choose,
Questioning my morals.

Temptations,
Do I stand solemnly for what I believe--
The considerately more complicated choice,
Or do I give into evil--
Easily allowing my inner demons to succeed.

Temptations,
Drag my helplessly
Towards the dark options,
Away from what I've always had,
The good, the pure, the light.

Temptations,
Got the best of me.



Temptations,
Made me choose.






Temptations,
Made me...evil.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Allie this is really good! I loved the way every stanza started with temptations, it really got your point across. Your word choice was very good too, maybe just have an overall theme for your diction though. I could definitely tell this was your writing, so nice voice! The best part of this was how the stanzas got more and more dark and finally ended with evil! Fantastic job(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allie-

    I really loved the repetition of the word temptation. It wasn't over done and it added really cool voice to your piece. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allie, I loved the spacing, especially at the end, because the gap between stanzas really made you wonder what was about to happen next and how the person would react to the temptations. I also liked the repetition of the word temptations, I think you portrayed the constant temptation we have during out own lives very well. The only thing you could change is to maybe make the stanzas each a little less wordy at the beginning, but it doesn't really take away from your awesome effect. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was really great Allie!I think you had really strong diction and the repition of temptations was great! The spacing of the ending really added effect to the piece. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete